David A. Grimley
- Stratigraphy, paleoclimate and paleoenvironment of Illinoian and pre-Illinoian sediments and paleosols in SW Illinois
- Provenance of loess and lake sediment records, based on mineralogy, magnetic properties and elemental composition
- Utilization of magnetic susceptibility for delineation of hydric (wetland) soils and for ecological restoration
- Surficial geology mapping in the St. Louis Metro East area (Jersey, Madison, St. Clair, and Monroe Counties)
- Correlation of soil magnetic suscepitability to distribution of native tree and prairie species; utilization in restoration
- Geologic history of a fossil mammoth site in Elsah, IL
- Comparision of paleoclimate and paleoenvironment of Wisconsinan, Illinoian and pre-Illinoian deposits in SW Illinois based on fossil assemblage, mineral and magnetic methods
Grimley, D.A., 2010, Surficial Geology of Mascoutah Quadrangle, St. Clair County, Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois Geologic Quadrangle Map, IGQ Mascoutah-SG, 2 sheets, 1:24,000; report, 9 p.
Grimley, D.A., and Webb, N.D., 2010, Surficial Geology of Red Bud Quadrangle, Randolph, Monroe, and St. Clair Counties, Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois Geologic Quadranglex Map, IGQ Red Bud-SG, 2 sheets, 1:24,000; report, 15 p.
Grimley, D.A., Larsen, D., Kaplan, S.W., Yansa. C.H., Curry, B.B., and Oches, E.A. 2009. A multi-proxy palaeoecological and palaeoclimatic record within full glacial lacustrine deposits, western Tennessee, USA. Journal of Quaternary Science 24: 260-981.
Grimley, D.A., Wang, J-S., Liebert, D.A., and Dawson, J.O. 2008. Soil magnetic susceptibility: a quantitative proxy of soil drainage for use in ecological restoration, Restoration Ecology 16: 657-667.
Grimley, D.A., and Arruda, N.K. 2007. Observations of magnetite dissolution in poorly drained soils, Soil Science 172: 968-982.
Treworgy, J.D., Saunders, J.J., and Grimley, D.A., 2007, Mammoth (Mammuthus sp.) excavation on a college campus in Western Illinois, USA, Quaternary International 169-170: 24-28.
Grimley, D.A. and Phillips, A.C., 2006, Surficial Geology of Madison County, Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois Preliminary Geologic Map, IPGM Madison County-SG, 1:100,000.
Curry, B.B. and Grimley, D.A., 2006, Provenance, age, and environment of mid-Wisconsin Episode slackwater lake sediment in the St. Louis Metro East area, U.S.A., Quaternary Research, v. 65, p. 108-122.
Grimley, D.A., Arruda, N.K., and M.W. Bramstedt, 2004, Using magnetic susceptibility to facilitate more rapid, reproducible, and precise delineation of hydric soils in the midwestern USA, Catena, v. 58, p. 183-213.
Grimley, D.A., L.R. Follmer, R.E. Hughes, and P.A. Solheid, 2003, Modern, Sangamon, and Yarmouth soil development in loess of unglaciated southwestern Illinois: Quaternary Science Reviews, v.22, p.225-244.
Grimley, D.A., B.J Stiff, and M.J. Andrew, 2001, Geologic road map of Illinois: Surface deposits and landscapes: Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois Map 10, scale 1:760,320.
Grimley, D.A., A.P. Phillips, L.R. Follmer, H. Wang, and R.S. Nelson, 2001, Quaternary and environmental geology of the St. Louis Metro East area: in D. Malone (ed), Guidebook for Field Trip for the 35th Annual Meeting of the North-Central Section of the Geological Society of America: Illinois State Geological Survey Guidebook 33, p. 21-73.
Grimley, D.A., 2000, Glacial and nonglacial sediment contributions to Wisconsin Episode loess in the central United States: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 112, no. 10, p. 1475-1495.
Grimley, D.A., and M.J. Vepraskas, 2000, Utilization of magnetic susceptibility for delineating hydric soils: Soil Science Soil of America Journal, v. 64, no. 6, p. 2184-2180.