Christopher J. Stohr
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.S. Purdue University
- B.S. St. Joseph’s College, Rensselaer, IN
- Remote sensing/image interpretation for engineering and environmental applications
- Post closure monitoring of landfills
- Surveying, GNSS/GPS technology and geodesy
- Photogrammetry, terrestrial laser scanning, and LiDAR
- Promoting improvement of Illinois' topographic data with new reference marks and airborne LiDAR imagery through "Height Modernization"
- Develop low-cost methods to improve post closure monitoring of landfills
- Photogrammetry, remote sensing and image processing to classify lithology and mineralogy on short-lived outcrops
- Description of inaccessible sections in pits and quarries by photogrammetry and laser scanning
- Outreach and K-12 education on engineering geology, site selection, waste management, and groundwater issues
- American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- Geological Society of America
- Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists
- Association of Missouri Geologists
- Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene
Stohr, C., J. Petras, D. Mikulic, and J. Thomason. 2011. Stereophotographic Measurement of Joint and Bedding Orientation at Thornton Quarry, Illinois. Illinois State Geological Survey Circular 579. 23p. and 7 appendices.
Stohr, C., T. Kemmis, A. Stumpf, J. Thomason, and Curry, B. 2008. Deglacial History and Paleoenvironments of Northeastern Illinois. 54th Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene Field Conference. Stop 9: Thelen Sand and Gravel Pits, Sedimentology of kame terrace deposits at the Thelen sand and gravel pits, northwestern Lake County, Illinois. Illinois State Geological Survey Open File 2008-1, Illinois State Geological Survey, Champaign, IL pp 164-175.
Stohr, C., R.G. Darmody, B. Wimmer, I. Krapac, K. Hackley, A. Iranmanesh, and A.D.B. Leakey. 2010. Detecting Carbon Dioxide Emissions in Soybeans by Aerial Thermal Infrared Imagery. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 735-741.
Kemmis, T., E. Hajic, C. Stohr, A. Stumpf, S. Nelson, and J. Dexter, 2005. Stop 1-7 Midwest Materials Company Site, Lacon; Late Wisconsin Episode High Terrace Succession, Quaternary Deposits and History of the Ancient Mississippi River Valley, North-Central Illinois. Illinois State Geological Survey Open File Series 2005-7. 51st Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene Field Trip, ISGS Centennial Field Trip, May 13-15, 2005. 101 pages.
Dixon-Warren, A. and C. Stohr, 2003, Downhole natural gamma-ray logging of Quaternary sediments: The Professional Geologist, v.40, no. 3, p. 2-5.
Stohr, C., 2001, Chapter 16. Engineering geology, natural hazards, and construction materials in Z. Lasemi and R.C. Berg, editors, Three-Dimensional Geologic Mapping: A Pilot Program for Resource and Environmental Assessment in the Villa Grove Quadrangle, Douglas County, Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey Bulletin 106, Illinois State Geological Survey, Champaign, IL, p. 86-90.
Stohr, C., 2001, Misperceptions about GPS selective availability reduction and its impact on professional surveys: Illinois GIS Notes, v. 2, no.1, Illinois Geographical Informations Systems Association, p. 1-2.
Su, W.J. and C. Stohr. Aerial-Photointerpretation of Landslides Along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Environmental and Engineering Geoscience Bulletin, Vol. VI, No. 4, pp. 311-323.
Luman, D.E., C. Stohr, and L. Hunt. 1997. Digital Reproduction of historical aerial photographic prints for preserving a deteriorating archive: Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, (Special Issue), v. 63, no. 10, p. 1171-1179.
Stohr, C., R.G. Darmody, T.D. Frank, A.P. Elhance, R. Lunetta, D. Worthy, and K. O'Connor-Shoresman, 1994, Classification of depressions in landfill covers using uncalibrated airborne thermal-infrared imagery: C. Stohr and R. Lunetta (editors), Special Issue on Remote Sensing in solid and Hazardous Waste Management, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, v. 60, no. 8, p. 1019-1028.
Stohr, Christopher, Wen-June Su, Leon Follmer, Paul B. DuMontelle, and Robert A Griffin 1988. Engineering Geology Investigations of a Hazardous-Waste Landfill in West Central Illinois. Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology No. 37, pp. 77-89.
Stohr, Christopher, Wen-June Su, Paul DuMontelle and Robert A. Griffin. 1987. Remote Sensing Investigation of a Hazardous Waste Landfill. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing Vol. 53, No. 11, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Falls Churst, Virginia. pp. 1555-1563. Autometric Award.