- Ph.D. Isotope Geoarchaeology, 1996. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL.
- MA. Isotope Geoarchaeology, 1993. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL.
- MS. Quaternary Geology, 1984. Northwestern University, Xian, China.
- BS. Geochemistry, 1981. Northwestern University, Xian, China.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Prairie Research Institute, Illinois State Geological Survey (ISGS): 2005 to present: Research Quaternary Geochemist; 1999 to 2005: Associate Research Quaternary Geochemist; 1996 to 1999: Assistant Research Quaternary Geochemist.
- American Geophysics Union
- The Geological Society of America
- American Quaternary Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
My research interest is to study paleoclimate changes during the last deglaciation through examining loess-paleosol, dune-wetland, and lacustrine-marl successions in mainly Illinois, United State. The objectives of my research are 1) to establish intra-chronozonal climate records at places progressively moving towards the retreating ice margin of the Laurentide Ice Sheet; 2) to understand biogeochemical cycles in these successions for paleoclimate proxy studies. I use radiometric (conventional) and accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) radiocarbon and optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) dating technologies for chronology study and use stable isotope geochemistry and other geochemistry and geophysics techniques for developing proxies.
Dune-wetland succession at the Manito site in the middle Illinois River Valley and Loess-paleosol succession at the Keller Farm site in the middle Mississippi River Valley reveal climate changes on intra-chronozonal levels.
Top two panels show the Manito dune site and proxy results and bottom two panels show Keller Farm loess and Bon Harbor (proxy only) loess sites in Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys through collaborating with Kentucky Geological Survey.
We are working on AMS 14C dating on root residue trapped inside of rhizoliths, indicated by arrows, and inner layers of calcified roots or solidified plant-genic CO2, indicated by oval circles, and individual calcified roots in figures below for loess chronology studies.
Rhizoliths: cementation of calcified roots; arrows: root residue; oval circles: calcified rootlets. Individual rootlets; SEM: calcified root and fungi cells; EDS: calcium in the matrix of calcified roots; Cathodoluminescence: multi-generations of calcite.
- 14C dating of soil organic matter using pyrolysis-combustion technique
- 14C dating of bone collagen using pyrolysis-combustion technique
- Extraction of bone collagen, bone apatite, and enamel apatite for 14C dating and stable isotope analyses
- 14C dating of ostrich eggshell, snail shells, and marine mollusk shells
- 14C dating of cooking residue, soot, and pictograph
- C and O stable isotopes of calcified rhizoliths and soil organic matter for reconstructing C3 and C4 plant biomass in response to climate variations
- Reconstruction of long-term seasonal climate variability including Asian Monsoons and North America El Niño-Southern Oscillation records during last glacial-interglacial cycles
- Paleosol meso morphology and pedostratigraphy
- Diffuse reflectance (color variations) in L*a*b* systems for loess-paleosol successions in Mississippi and Missouri river valleys
- Magnetic susceptibility of loess-paleosol record in southern Illinois
- Reconstruction of paleoenvironment and climate variations of early humans in Northern China using stable isotope analyses of soil organic matter and soil carbonate
- Reconstruction of early human diets using stable isotope analysis of bone collagen and enamel apatite
- Optical Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) dating on loess and fluvial sediments
- Interface of loess deposition and paleosol formation during possible last 5 glacial-interglacial cycles.
- Stable isotope analyses of calcified rootlets and fungi, known as carbonate rhizoliths: carbon cycling among C3, C4 and fungal biomass in response to a decadal-scale climate changes during the last glacial maximum.
- Stable isotope analyses of carbonate rhizoliths: plant carbon cycles and ecosystem response to a decadal climate change during the last glacial maximum.
- Millennial-scale climate changes and ENSO variability in Midwest of US during last glaciation.
- Stable isotope of organic residue in speleothem and soil ecosystem variation during the past.
- Radiocarbon dating of soil organic matter using high-temperature pyrolysis-combustion technique.
- Cheng, P., Zhou, W., Wang, H., Lu, X., and Du, H. (2013). 14C dating of soil organic carbon (SOC) in loess-paleosol using sequential pyrolysis and accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS). Radiocarbon 55, 563-570.
- Howlett, D.S., Toma, Y., Wang, H., Sugiyama, S., Yama, T., Nishiwaki, A., Fernandez, F., Stewart, J.R. (2013). Soil carbon source and accumulation over 12,000 years in a semi-natural Miscanthus sinensis grassland in southern Japan. Catena, 104, 127-135.
- Wang, H., Stumpf, A.J., Miao, X., Lowell, T.V. (2012). Atmospheric changes in North America during the last deglaciation from dune-wetland records in the Midwestern United States. Quaternary Science Reviews 58, 124-134.
- Brandt, S.A., Fisher, E.C., Hildebrand, E.A., Vogelsang, R., Ambrose, S.H., Lesur, J., Wang, H. (2012). Early MIS 3 occupation of Mochena Borago Rockshelter, Southwest Ethiopian Highlands: Implications for Late Pleistocene archaeology, paleoenvironments and modern human dispersals. Quaternary International 271, 38-54.
- Demeter, F., Shackelford, L.L., Bacon, A.M., Duringer, P., Westaway, K., Sayavongkhamdy, T., Braga, J., Sichanthongtip, P., Khamdalavong, P., Ponche, J-L., Wang, H., Lundstrom, C., Patole-Edoumba, E.,
- Karpoff, A-M., (2012). Anatomically modern human in Southeast Asia (Laos) by 46 ka. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109, 14375-14380.
- Vader, M.J., Zeman, B. K. Schaetzl, R. J., Anderson, K. L., Walquist, R. W.,Freiberger, K. M., Emmendorfer, J. A., Wang, H.(2012). Proxy evidence for easterly wind in glacial Lake Algonquin, from the Black River delta in northern lower Michigan.Physical Geography 33, 252-268.
- Panno, S.V. Curry, B.B. Wang, H. Hackley, K. C., Zhang, Z., Lundstrom, C.C. (2012). The effects of climate change on speleogenesis and karstification since the penultimate glaciation in southwestern Illinois’ sinkhole plain. Carbonates Evaporites DOI 10.1007/s13146-012-0086-5.
- Wang, H., Ambrose, S., Headman, K., and Emerson, T. (2010). AMS 14C dating of human bones using sequential pyrolysis and combustion of collagen. Radiocarbon 52 (1) 157-163.
- Miao, X., Hanson, Paul R., Wang, H., A., Young (2010). Timing and origin for sand dunes in the Green River Lowland of Illinois, upper Mississippi river Valley, USA. Quaternary Science Reviews 29, 763-773.
- Wang, H., Lundstrom, C.C., Zhang, Z., Grimley, D.A., and Balsam, W.L. (2009). A mid-late Quaternary loess-paleosol record in Simmons Farm in southern Illinois, USA. Quaternary Science Review 28, 93-106.
- Miao, X., Mason, J.A., Johnson, W.C., and Wang, H. (2007). High-resolution proxy record of Holocene climate from a loess section in Southwest Nebraska, USA. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Paleoecology 245, 368-381.
- Wang H. and Greenberg, S.E. (2007). Reconstructing the response of C3 and C4 plants to decadal-scale climate change during the Late Pleistocene in southern Illinois using isotopic analyses of calcified rootlets. Quaternary Research 67, 136-142.
- Wang H., Mason, J.A., and Balsam, W.L. (2006). The importance of both geological and pedological processes in control of grain size and sedimentation rates in Peoria loess. Geoderma 136, 388-400.
- Wang, H., Ambrose, S.H., and Fouke, B.W. (2004). Evidence of long-term seasonal climate forcing in rhizolith isotopes during the last glaciation. Geophysical Research Letters 31 L13203.
- Panno, S.V., Curry, B. B., Wang, H., Hackley, K.C., Liu, J.C-L., Lundstrom, C. and Zhou, J. (2004). Climate change in southern Illinois, USA, based on the age and δ13C of organic matter in cave sediments. Quaternary Research 61, 301-313.
- Wang, H., Hackley, K.C., Panno, S.V., Coleman, D.D., Liu, J. C-L., and Brown, J. (2003). Pyrolysis combustion 14C dating of soil organic matter. Quaternary Research 60, 348-355.
- Wang, H., Hughes, R.E., Steele, J.D., Lepley, S.M., and Tian, J. (2003). Correlation of climate cycles of Middle Mississippi Valley loess and Greenland ice. Geology 31, 179-182.
- Wang, H., Follmer, L.R., and Liu, J.C-L. (2000). Isotope evidence of paleo-El Niño-Southern Oscillation cycles in loess-paleosol record in the central United States. Geology 28, 771-774.
- Wang, H. and Follmer, L.R. (1998). Proxy of monsoon seasonality in carbon isotopes from paleosols of the southern Chinese Loess Plateau. Geology 26, 987-990.
- Wang, H., Liu, J.C-L., and Follmer, L.R. (1998). Climate trend and habitat variation based on oxygen and carbon isotopes in paleosols from Liujiapo, Shaanxi, China. Quaternary International 51/52, 52-54.
- Wang, H., Ambrose, S.H., Liu, J.C-L., and Follmer, L.R. (1997). Paleosol stable isotope evidence for early Hominid Occupation of East Asian Temperate environments. Quaternary Research. 48, 228-238.
- Wang H. (1988). An Early Pleistocene mammalian fauna from Dali, Shaanxi, China (in Chinese). Vertebrata Palatiasica. 26, 59-72.
- Wang, H., Stumpf, A.J., Miao, X., (2013). Reply to comments by Curry et al. (2013) on “Atmospheric changes in North America during the last deglaciation from dune-wetland records in the Midwestern United States”. Quaternary Science Reviews xxx, 1-4.
- Wang, H. (2013) Interactive comment on “Excursions to C4 vegetation recorded in the Upper Pleistocene loess of Surduk (Northern Servia): an organic isotope geochemistry study by C. Hatté et al. Climate of the Past Discussion, 9, p. C29.
- Curry, B.B., Wang, H., Dorale, J. Blackwell, B., Lundstrom C. (2011). Paleoenvironmental history from fossil pollen and ostracode records in south-central Illinois. Stop 9: Pittsburg Basin, In Grimley, D.A. and Phillips, A.C. (Ed.) Ridges, Mounds, and Valleys: Glacial-Interglacial History of the Kaskaskia Basin, Southwestern Illinois 55th Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene Field Conference. May 20–22, 2011, Carlyle, Illinois. pp. 112-123.
- US Provisional Patent: Wang, H. (2009), Systems and Processes for Generating Power and for Handling Combustion By-Products. United States Provisional Patent (US Patent Series No: 61/161.659).
- Wang, H. (2007). Interactive comment on "Changes in C3/C4 vegetation in the continental interior of the Central Himalayas associated with monsoonal paleoclimatic changes during the last 600 kyr" by M. Mampuku et al. Climate of the Past Discussions 3, 533-536.
- Wang, H., Follmer, L.R., and Grimley, D. (2001). Keller Farm Section. In Malone, D. (ed). Guidebook for Field Trips for the Thirty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the North-Central Section of Geological Society of America, ISGS Guidebook 33. 51-55.
- Grimley, D., Phillips, A.C., Follmer, L.R., Wang, H., and Nelson, R.S. (2001). Quaternary and Environmental Geology of the St.Louis Metro East Area. In Malone, D. (ed). Guidebook for Field Trips for the Thirty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the North-Central Section of Geological Society of America. ISGS Guidebook 33. p. 21-31.
- Grimley, D., Follmer, L.R., and Wang, H. (2001). Dunn Road Section. In Malone, D. (ed). Guidebook for Field Trips for the Thirty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the North-Central Section of Geological Society of America. ISGS Guidebook 33. p. 47-51.
- Wang, H., Follmer, L.R., and Liu, J.C-L. (1998). Abrupt climate oscillations in the loess record of the Mississippi Valley during the last glacial maximum. In Busacca et al. (eds): Dust Aerosols, Loess Soils & Global Change, p. 179-182.
- Curry, B.B., Wang, H., Hackley, K.C., and Panno, S.V. (2010). Chapter 10, Quaternary Paleoclimate. Geology of Illinois (Kolata, D.R., Ed). ISGS Press. pp. 248-260.
- Wang, H. Radiocarbon (14C) Dating and Analysis in Illinois State Geological Survey, pp.50.
- Wang, H. (1996). Climate and habitat reconstruction of Hominid sites in northern China with paleosol stable isotopes. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. pp. 258.
- Keenan-Jones, D., A. Foubert, G. Fried, M. Sivaguru, D. Motta, M. H. Garcia, M. Perillo, J. Waldsmith, H. Wang, and B. W. Fouke, (2013). Hierarchical Stratigraphy of Travertine Deposition in Ancient Roman Aqueducts. A poster presentation at three venues: 1)10th Incontro di studi ‘Lazio e Sabina’, Rome, 4-6 June 2013; 2) U of I Institute for Genomic Biology Fellows Symposium http://conferences.igb.illinois.edu/fellows/; 3) U of I SESE review http://www.geog.illinois.edu/activities/documents/General_Flyer.pdf.
- Miao, X.-D.,H. Wang, P.R. Hanson, J.A. Mason, and X.-D. Liu, 2013, Using OSL and radiocarbon dating to constrain the time of soil development: Geological Society of America, 47th Annual Meeting of the North-Central Section, Kalamazoo, Michigan, Abstracts with Programs, vol. 45, no. 4, p. 16
- Wang, H. Stumpf, A.J., Lowell, T.V. (2012), Phase relationship of moisture distribution between the Midwest and Southwest of the United States during the last termination, Abstract PP51B-2128 presented at 2012 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 3-7 December.
Keenan-Jones, D., A. Foubert, G. Fried, M. Sivaguru, D. Motta, M. H. Garcia, , M. Perillo, J. Waldmsith, H. Wang, S. Ambrose and B. W. Fouke (2012). Ancient Roman Aqueducts as a Geoarchaeological Laboratory to understand Travertine Formation, COCARDE Workshop and Field Seminar 2012, Nördlingen, Germany, 15-19/10/2012.
- Wang, H. and Grimley, D.A. (2008), A long loess record in southern Illinois: 5 interglacial 2 prominent interstadial paleosols, and 5 loesses. The Geological Society of America 42nd Annual Meeting of North-Central Section Evansville, Indiana. Volume 40 No. 5, p. 3.
- Grimley, D.A., Wang, H. and Counts, R. (2008), A record of last glacial climate changes and paleoecology from a loess-paleosol record in western Kentucky. The Geological Society of America 42nd Annual Meeting of North-Central Section Evansville, Indiana. Volume 40 No. 5, p. 4.
- Counts, R.C., Wang, H., and Grimley, D.A. (2008), Luminescence and radiocarbon chronology of loess-paleosol sequences in the lower Ohio River Valley. The Geological Society of America 42nd Annual Meeting of North-Central Section Evansville, Indiana. Volume 40 No. 5, p. 3.
- Miao, X., Wang, H., and Hanson, P. (2008), Optical and radiocarbon ages of eolian sand in the Green River Lowland, northwestern Illinois. The Geological Society of America 42nd Annual Meeting of North-Central Section Evansville, Indiana. Volume 40 No. 5, p. 74.
- Wang, H. (2007). Decadal-scale climate variations in carbonate rhizolith: most reliable soil carbonates for high resolution stable isotope analysis. North Central-South Central GSA Conference, Lawrence, Kansas, April 11-13, 2007. pp. 5.
- Johnson, D.L., Johnson, D.N., Horwath, J.L., Wang, H., Hackley, K.C., and Cahill, R.A. (2006). Mima mounds as upper soil biomantles: What happens when the dominant bioturbators leave and invertebrates take over? WCSS, Pscilly, PA, July 9-15, 2006.
- Wang, H. (2003). Short-term variation of C3/C4 plants and growing-season climate in carbon and oxygen isotopes of carbonate rootlet casts. XVI INQUA Congress Programs with Abstracts. Reno, Nevada. pp. 164.
- Wang, H. (2002). Soil stratigraphy in Peoria Loess in the middle Mississippi Valley. American Quaternary Association Program and abstract of the 17th Biennial Meeting. Anchorage, Alaska. pp. 126.
- Wang, H. (2002). Rootlet carbonates and seasonal terrestrial climate significance. American Quaternary Association Program and abstract of the 17th Biennial Meeting. Anchorage, Alaska. pp. 127.
- Wang, H., Liu, J.C-L., Hackley, K.C., Shiffer, S. and Follmer, L.R. (1999). An alternative method of radiocarbon dating for loess. The Geological Society of America 33rd Annual Meeting, North-Central Section. p. A-79.
- Wang, H. and Follmer, L.R. (1998). A polygenetic model for pedostratigraphic units in the Chinese Loess Plateau region. Quaternary International 51/52, 52.
- Wang, H., Huot, S. Mckay III, E.D., Berg, R.C. (2012). Impact of feldspar contamination for OSL dating on aeolian and fluvial sand in Illinois River Valley. 8th New World Luminescence Dating Workshop at UCLA, September 6-9, 2012.
- Miao, X., Wang, H., Hanson, P.R., Mason, J. A., (2012) Using OSL and Radiocarbon Dating to Constrain the time of soil development. 8th New World Luminescence Dating Workshop at UCLA, September 6-9, 2012.
- Wang, H., Counts, R.C., Waninger, S.E. (2012). Stable isotopes from rhizoliths preserved in last glacial loess records: abrupt climatic and hydrological changes in Midwestern USA. 21st International Radiocarbon Conference, July 9 – July 13, 2012, Paris, France,
- Wang, H., (2012). Pyrolysis-combustion (Py-C) pretreatment for 14C dating of organic materials. 21st International Radiocarbon Conference, July 9 – July 13, 2012, Paris, France,
- Wang, H. Curry, B.B. Stumpf, A.J. Miao, X. Waningeer, S.E. Hanson, P.R. Goble, R.J. (2011).Evidence of regional drought from dune and loess records during the early stage of LIS retreat in the Midwestern United States. Abstract PP23B-1849 presented at 2011 Fall Meeting. AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 5-9 Dec.
- Wang, H., Stumpf, A., Lowell, T., 2011, Evidence of Younger Dryas aridity in dune-paleosol successions in the Midwest of U.S.A. XVIII International Quaternary Association Congress, Bern, Switzerland, Abstract no. 2765.
- Curry, B., Grimley, D., Wang, H., Dorale, J.A., McKay, D., Berg, R, and Stumpf, A., 2011, Quaternary glacial-interglacial cycles in Illinois, U.S.A., XVIII International Quaternary Association Congress, Bern, Switzerland, Abstract no. 2472.
- Wang, H. Stumpf, A. J., Berg, R. C., McKay, E. D. III, (2010). Evidence of a 700-year Lake Agassiz megaflood in the slackwater deposits of Mississippi River tributaries. Presented at 2010 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 13-17 Dec. 2010.
- Wang, H., A. Stumpf, X. Miao, (2010). A complete sedimentary record from last glacial termination to early Holocene in Midwestern dune field. Reaching New Peaks in Geoscience 2010 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition 31 Oct.-3 Nov. 2010, Denver, Colorado USA. pp227.
- McKay, E.D., Wang, H., R.C. Berg, and S. L. Forman, (2010). Sangamon and early Wisconsin episode stratigraphy and optical luminescence dates near the ancient Mississippi River Valley. Reaching New Peaks in Geoscience 2010 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition 31 Oct.-3 Nov. 2010, Denver, Colorado USA. pp227.
- Chirlenco, M.I., Panno, S.V., Lundstrom C.C., Hackley, K.C., Wang, H. (2010). Interpretations of speleogenesis and paleoclimate from speleothems in Donnehue’s cave, Indiana. Reaching New Peaks in Geoscience 2010 GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition 31 Oct.-3 Nov. 2010, Denver, Colorado USA. pp171.
- Brandt, S. A., Fisher, Erich C., Hildebrand, E. A., Wang, H. (2010). Archaeological and Paleoenvironmental implications of >40 ka charcoal radiocarbon dates from Moche Borago, Ethiopia. Paleoanthropology Society Annual Meeting. St. Louis, April 12-13.
- Stefanik, P., Kozlowski, A.L., Miller, N. G., Krumdieck, N. W., and Wang, H., 2010, A Chronological Investigation of Sand Dune Formation in the Capital Region of New York State: Northeastern/Southeastern Section Meeting, Baltimore Maryland; Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 42, no. 1. pp.190. March 13-16, 2010.
- Wang H. (2009), OSL dating of fluvial sand in the glacial Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. Sixth New World Luminescence Dating and Dosimetry Workshop October 22-24, 2009 University of Washington, Seattle.
- Miao, X.D., P.R. Hanson, H. Wang, H., and A.R. Young (2009). Timing and Implications for Sand Dune Development in the Green River Lowland of Illinois, Upper Midwestern United States. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 41, No. 4, p. 64.
- Hackley, K. C., Liu, C-L. and Wang, H. (1997). Methane leakage from underground storage field: source identification, geological implications, and effects on soil and crops. Abstract in GSA Annual Meeting. The Geological Society of America 1997 Annual Meeting. p. A151.